The Things To Throw Out While Relocating. Part 2
For you to be able to deal with fewer items, you need to figure out which ones need to go and which ones you are keeping. Sorting takes up a lot of time so any free time you get, dedicate it to this task. Below are steps that will help you get through this process as fast as possible.
- Step one: Handle the sorting room by room. You could even begin with the ones that have a lot of stuff.
- Step two: begin with big things first such as tables, chairs, electrical appliances, etc. then move on to tinnier ones like clothes and books.
- Step three: Categorize stuff so that you go through everything in a short time. You can list them according to the things you must carry, valuables and the things you do not need.
- Step four: As you list down what you have, ensure you know which of your belongings you have to carry along. It could be a new television, your favorite piece of furniture, or even a book you got as a gift, label them so that it is made sure that they get to your new location.
- Step five: this step is for taking care of those things you find valuable and that have some sentimental value. Keep them on the side so that they do not end up thrown away or damaged.
- Step six: After you have dealt with what you are carrying and your valuables, now you can pay attention to the stuff that went into the unwanted category. Some of them could be clothes, shoes or toys that have been outgrown, things that you have more than one of, items you rarely use and are just collecting dust and also things you may have been given as gifts but never really liked them.
- Step seven: Throw away the things that are broken and cannot be mended. Keeping them will just be pilling up clutter.
When all your belongings are arranged and categorized, it becomes easier to know how to go about disposing of those you have no use for. Often, you may wonder if you want to give out cash for your things to be moving. It is therefore not uncommon to go through the same problems with the stuff you do not need. St.Catharines movers have some suggestions on how you can go about getting rid of unwanted items. One could:
Sell them on the internet.
This is one of the best ways to deal with all the excess items you have when relocating. Not only does it help you reduce your belongings, but it also gets you additional money. When going about this, bear in mind the following:
- It takes a while for things to be bought. That is unless what you are selling is something very nice and you are selling it at a low Calculate how much time you have left until your haul date and find out if you will have enough time to go through with this. You could still sell them later on after the move, but the downside of this is that it will still cost you to have them carried to your new place.
- Make sure what you want to put up for sale is in good condition.
- Know how much they are worth so that you can price them accordingly. Just in case you do not know, you could always check for the price of the same item either at a store or just on the internet too.
- Ensure that the pictures are clear and well taken. Catchy adverts for them will also attract more buyers. Add in additional info about the items and why they are up for sale, so people do not think you are a con.
- Work out how the stuff will be transported and how you will finance it.
- Do not try to trick people. Also, give feedback on inquiries as soon as you can.
- Go through reputable online marketplaces such as Amazon or Craigslist.
Sell them at a moving sale.
Coming up with a relocation sale before your move can be a very helpful way to get rid of the clutter. Get people from other neighborhoods too and not just yours to come and check it out. Five important things to know when venturing into this are:
- Weekends are the best days to put them because people are free and come through. You could also pick a weekday, but that is if you want to target the drivers going to or from work.
- Begin the sale as early as you can, preferably from eight in the morning. This will help you get people from the morning rush hour and also enables you to have it open all day.
- Do some research and enquire if you will need to get permission or a license. If you do, make sure you apply for one.
- Come up with strategies to make it family and children friendly, and fun for all. Be nice to people and even help them pick out stuff.
- For it to be fruitful and for many people to come, you need to advertise it. Also, keep your prices at a level that people will be able to afford.
Give them to family and friends.
You could choose not to sell all your belongings or even some of them, and opt to give them to relatives and pals. They will be happy to be gifted and will appreciate it. You can give out clothes, shoes, furniture, etc.
Donate to the needy.
You no longer have a use for these things, but there is someone out there who would greatly appreciate having them. Apart from it being a way of helping out the less fortunate, it is also one of the quickest ways to say bye to unwanted stuff before the haul.
Some items may be in a condition whereby you can neither sell, give out, nor donate. The other option on how to handle such a situation is to throw them away to be recycled. You can look for a recycling center and take them there.